ASD consists of social-communication deficits and restricted, reptitive behaviors. The CDC has developed specific red flags that indicate if a child needs an ASD evaluation. You can see examples of ASD symtpoms through AutismSpeaks videoglossary. Seeking a diagnostic evaluation as soon as you have a concern is critical, because families typically have to wait to receive an evaluation and ABA treatment. If you have a concern, then do not take a "wait and see" approach; such an approach can delay the initiation of treatment that will significantly improve your child's overall functioning and quality of life. Given the highly effective nature of ABA therapy, we encourage families to seek an ASD evaluation as soon as you have your first concern
Asd Evaluations and diagnosis
Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) is a very complex neurodevelopmental disorder. JumpStart Autism Center (JAC) specializes in evaluating children ages 1-7 years old who may have ASD or other neurodevelopmental disabilities.
JAC's ASD evaluations include a review of your child's behavioral and medical history, direct assessment of their skills, and indirect assessment of their abilities (e.g., questionnaires). JAC's assessments typically include the following:
- Completion of intake docs (download JAC's Intake Form, Patient Reg Form),
- Completion of ASD screening measures (M-CHAT & CSBS-DP),
- Assessment of your child's developmental abilities (MSEL & PLS-5),
- Assessment of your child's intellectual, memory, attention, executive function, communication, visual spatial, and motor skills,
- Assessment of your child's adaptive skills (e.g., SIB-R or VABS-2),
- All individuals referred for an ASD evaluation will participate in ADOS-2,
- Completion of behavioral questionnaires (Social Responsiveness Scale-Revised, Behavior Assessment System for Children-Revised)
In addition to completing JAC's ASD evaluation forms (i.e., JAC's Intake Form, M-CHAT, and CSBS-DP) you can prepare any additional reports or documents that will assist us in understanding your child's behavior, and developmental and medical history. While waiting for your child's evaluation it will be important to start contacting ABA providers and talking to your social support network.
JAC prioritizes preschool and school-age children for diagnostic assessments. Unlike similar service providers in the Albuquerque area, JAC is able to decrease the delay between diagnosis and initiation of Early Intensive Behavioral Interventions (EIBI)/Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA) treatment. This is significant because EIBI and ABA treatments are the most effective types of interventions for children with ASD and reflect national standards of ASD treatment.
Serving Children, Families and the Community
Autism Diagnosis Denver Albuquerque